How To Fix Mozilla Firefox Slow Loading or Running
Mozilla Firefox is a popular web browser that comes with a wide array of features. It comes with a safe browsing mode and is safe to use. Many people prefer it over other default browsers such as Edge or Safari. Despite being a good browser, users often notice Mozilla Firefox running slow. This could happen because of multiple reasons such as cookies and cache, heavy usage of RAM, etc. Thankfully, it is not difficult to fix this problem. If you notice Firefox’s slow loading pages, then read on and apply the solutions mentioned below.
Make Mozilla Firefox Boot Faster Fix Firefox slow loading pages.
If you have had the browser installed on the system for quite a while, you may notice that it might take time to start. Simultaneously, other internet browsers such as Microsoft Edge, Google Chrome, and Safari may be launching quickly. Here are unusual settings you can tweak to make your Firefox open faster to fix firefox slow loading pages.
- First, you need to open Firefox.
- Click on the settings menu.
- Select About.
- Click on Preferences.
- Click on the General tab.
- Untick the square next to Always check if Firefox is the default web browser.
- After that, go back to the Preferences page.
- Click on General.
- Now, click on When Firefox starts.
- After that, from the list of options, choose ‘Show a blank page.’
Hopefully, this will fix the issue of the Firefox slow loading pages.
Update Mozilla Firefox Fix slow loading pages.
Mozilla Firefox, by default, updates automatically. However, users can also install manual updates. It is easy to download browser updates manually. But for installation, you need to restart the browser. Here is the complete method to help you restart Mozilla Firefox.
- Open Firefox on your computer.
- After that, click on the menu icon.
- From the list of options, choose ‘Help.’
- After that, click on Aboud Firefox.
- Wait for the new screen to open.
- Allow the browser to check for updates.
- Download the updates, if available.
- Once the download is done, next click on the Restart to update the Firefox button.
In case the update does not start or is not successful, then there could be an issue. Navigate to the Systems and Language screen to download and install the latest Firefox version on your computer. Choose the language you want to use.
Here is how you can change the update settings:
- Open the Firefox browser.
- Click on the menu icon.
- From the list, click on Options.
- Click on the General Panel.
- Click on Firewall Updates.
- Make the necessary changes.
- Check if Firefox running slow issue is resolved or not.
Update Video Drivers to Fix Mozilla Firefox is running slow Windows 10.
If your computer or browser is slow, you should try updating the video drivers to boost the performance. In case the device gets problems because of driver-related issues, then a simple update may fix the problem. There are several ways to update the drivers. Here is how you can fix Firefox running slow Windows 10.
Bring Down Hardware Resource Usage
Sometimes, the browser might need a chunk of system resources to download, process, and display website content. In case you notice periods of heavy resource usage when using Mozilla Firefox, you need to review the following options. This will help you fix Firefox running slow on Mac and Windows issues.
- The CPU of the system.
- The Random Access Memory of the computer.
If the computer resources are getting heavily used, then the device’s overall performance may also be impacted. As per the OS, users can review and manage their resource usage using some tools.
Check the Plugins
Plugins can cause issues such as Firefox running slow Windows 10. To figure out if Firefox has slowed down due to the plugins, restart it in the Safe mode.
- For doing so, click on the hamburger icon at the top right corner.
- Select Question Mark from the list.
- After that, click on Restart with Add-ons disabled.
- Now, the Firefox browser will reboot.
- You will get two options:
- Start in Safe Mode
- Refresh Firefox.
- Click on Start in Safe Mode.
In case your browser works faster in the safe mode, then it is apparent that the issue lies with the add-on or plugin. After disabling the add-ons, you can restart the browser.
- Click on the Menu button.
- After that, select Add-ons.
- Click on Extensions or Themes.
- Choose the add-ons option.
- Click on the ellipsis icon.
- From the list of options, select Disable.
- When the prompt appears, click on Restart now.
Clear Browser Data to Fix Mozilla Firefox running slow on Mac or Windows
To fix Firefox running slow on Mac or Windows, try clearing the browser data. Here is how you can delete the entire web browsing history.
- Open the Mozilla Firefox browser.
- Click on the History tab.
- Select the Clear browsing history option.
- Click on the OK button to open confirmation.
- In case the Menu bar is not visible, hit the Alt key.
- Click on the Time range drop-down.
- Choose the desired option.
- If you wish to remove all the cache, then click on Everything.
- Click on Details.
- Select cache, cookies, and data.
- Click on the Clear now button.
- Restart the web browser.
- Now check if Firefox running slow issue is fixed or not.
Block Unrequired Content
Content that the users do not require, like advertisements or tracking scripts, could significantly slow down webpage loading. The browser’s inbuilt Content blocking feature might cause the webpages to load quickly. This happens because the feature prevents 3rd party tracking scripts from getting loaded. You can also install different add-ons for blocking content that you do not require. Some of the best add-ons for this purpose are:
- Try using the Disconnect add-on. It effectively blocks invisible page segments that track you on the internet.
- uBlock Origin is another great add-on for blocking advertisements, trackers, and unrequired web content. It also uses less RAM and resources as compared to other adblockers.
- NoScript is a robust add-on that permits users to selectively turn on or turn off the scripts that run on sites.
This will help you fix the issue of Firefox slow loading pages.
Mozilla Firefox, by default, safeguards users from getting tracked in personal windows. For this purpose, it makes use of a database of known trackers offered by Disconnect. The browser permits a few trackers so that the sites can work properly. Users can alter settings for blocking trackers for all time or block trackers from the second-level list. They can also choose not to block any trackers. Here is how you can tweak the settings:
- Open the Firefox browser on the computer.
- Click on the menu icon.
- From the range of options, select Content Blocking.
- Wait for the Content Blocking Page to load.
- Click on Options Privacy and Security.
- Select the content blocking setting. The three options are:
- Standard: This setting will block known trackers present in private windows along with 3rd party tracking cookies and crypto miners. Usually, this setting is set by default. If you wish to restore to it, click on Standard.
- Strict: This setting shall block the trackers in all windows along with 3rd party tracking cookies, fingerprints, and crypto-mining tools.
- Custom: This option allows the user to select what they wish to block. They can also disable all content blocking.
- Click on Custom
- Click on all the windows.
- Choose to change the bock list.
- Choose the Level 2 option.
- Click on the Save changes button.
- Select Cookies.
- Click on 3rd party trackers.
- Select Cryptominers.
- Click on Fingerprints.
- After that, hit the Reload All Tabs button.
Check if Firefox running slow Windows 10 or Mac issue has been resolved or not.
Refresh Mozilla Firefox
Refreshing the browser may fix Firefox running slow on Mac or Windows issue. When you start the browser in safe mode, you will get an added option for refreshing Firefox. Click on Refresh Mozilla Firefox. This will enable you to reset the browser to its original factory settings. See if this makes the browser work faster or not.
Tweak the Browsing Settings
To resolve Firefox running slow on Windows 10 or Mac, make changes to the browser settings.
- First, you want to click on the menu icon.
- After that, click on Preferences.
- Select the General option.
- Click on Browsing.
- After that, click on Use autoscrolling and turn it off.
- Similarly, turn off use smooth scrolling feature.
Scan the Device for Virus
If you face Firefox running slow Windows 10 issue, you should check if your device has any virus. Similarly, those facing Firefox running slow on Mac issues should also remove infections from their device.